The Strand will be the first ultra-luxury community with this level of sustainability in the Caribbean. With care for the environment and the wellbeing of people, all homes are designed with energy-efficient features that contribute to the sustainability of each residence as well as to the entire community.
Safe, Reliable Power
In partnership with Renu Energy TCI, a local leader in solar home integration, The Strand offers solar packages with Tesla Powerwalls on all of its villas. When purchasing a residence, the homeowner has the option to sign up for the solar package, which The Strand includes in the home at cost.
- Power in Turks and Caicos is derived from a diesel power plant on island and costs $.43 per kwh, or more. Costs to provide power through solar will be about $.13 per kwh. These systems are the best available with Tesla Powerwalls and Canadian Solar panels.
- The Powerwalls will not only run the homes at night, but they will also act as backup power in case of a power grid outage. These solar systems would account for 70 to 80 percent of energy use, with the remaining percentage coming from the traditional power grid.
- Ability for owners to charge their electric vehicles and integrate them into the overall power system.
Smart and Convenient
The Strand will be partnering with Intelity to provide state-of-the-art technology combining smart home technology with smart resort technology — all delivered through mobile phones and in-room tablets.
- Smart switches and outlets offering remote and pre-set lighting, drapery, and appliance control.
- All lighting in the resort is LED and connected to smart technology.
- High-efficiency Mitsubishi air conditioners with smart controls.
- Smart security systems, including SALTO keyless entry locks.
- Electric car and cart charging stations.
- Direct access to the concierge, food and beverage, housekeeping services, and BOH management.
- Online boutique.
- Notifications for news, activities, and events.
Architecture & Design Features
- Hand-crafted wood pergolas provide shade for every bedroom and great room.
- Flow-through ventilation in every room.
- Entire finish palette inside and out is hand applied off-white plaster, oolitic limestone wall cladding, limestone flooring, sustainably harvested wood — all of which is light colored and has low heat conductivity (think Greece, Spain, Southern Italy material palette used for hundreds of years).
The Strand is partnering with the team at the Denver Butterfly Pavilion to make the property a pollinator sanctuary for bees, butterflies, dragonflies, hummingbirds, and other pollinators.
- Smart landscape irrigation systems (Rainbird).
- Rainwater catchment cisterns mixed with gray water systems for all irrigation.
Food & Beverage
- Partnering with local anglers for sustainable “best practices” fishing for the restaurant.
- On-site vegetable garden and fruit trees.