The Strand will be the first ultra-luxury community with this level of sustainability in the Caribbean. With care for the environment and the wellbeing of people, all homes are designed with energy-efficient features that contribute to the sustainability of each residence as well as to the entire community.
Safe, Reliable Power
In partnership with Renu Energy TCI, a local leader in solar home integration, The Strand offers solar packages with Tesla Powerwalls on all of its villas. When purchasing a residence, the homeowner has the option to sign up for the solar package, which The Strand includes in the home at cost.
- Power in Turks and Caicos is derived from a diesel power plant on island and costs $.43 per kwh, or more. Costs to provide power through solar will be about $.13 per kwh. These systems are the best available with Tesla Powerwalls and Canadian Solar panels.
- The Powerwalls will not only run the homes at night, but they will also act as backup power in case of a power grid outage. These solar systems would account for 70 to 80 percent of energy use, with the remaining percentage coming from the traditional power grid.
- Ability for owners to charge their electric vehicles and integrate them into the overall power system.
Smart and Convenient
The Strand will be partnering with Intelity to provide state-of-the-art technology combining smart home technology with smart resort technology — all delivered through mobile phones and in-room tablets.
- Smart switches and outlets offering remote and pre-set lighting, drapery, and appliance control.
- All lighting in the resort is LED and connected to smart technology.
- High-efficiency Mitsubishi air conditioners with smart controls.
- Smart security systems, including SALTO keyless entry locks.
- Electric car and cart charging stations.
- Direct access to the concierge, food and beverage, housekeeping services, and BOH management.
- Online boutique.
- Notifications for news, activities, and events.
Architecture & Design Features
- Hand-crafted wood pergolas provide shade for every bedroom and great room.
- Flow-through ventilation in every room.
- Entire finish palette inside and out is hand applied off-white plaster, oolitic limestone wall cladding, limestone flooring, sustainably harvested wood — all of which is light colored and has low heat conductivity (think Greece, Spain, Southern Italy material palette used for hundreds of years).
- Smart landscape irrigation systems (Rainbird).
- Rainwater catchment cisterns mixed with gray water systems for all irrigation.
Food & Beverage
- Partnering with local anglers for sustainable “best practices” fishing for the restaurant.
- On-site vegetable garden and fruit trees.